PowerTools Lite

Win2000 Boot Problem

Discussion of jv16 PowerTools 2006. Note: this product version is no longer supported, feel free to use this product if you want but please remember that if you encounter any problem with it you should update to the latest version.

Win2000 Boot Problem

Postby dsims » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:20 am

I cleaned the registry using Registry Cleaner. I required it to "Fix" any errors first before it removed any bad keys. I also had backed up before requesting it to fix any registry errors. I am using Windows 2000 Pro OS.

Now when it trys to log on - It CRASHES. It will NOT boot up.
I can not figure what to do at this point. The hard drive is OK so it has to be because of the registry clean. Is there any way around this problem.

Also I can not get to the backup of the registry since it will not reboot.
Please guys,....ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Dan Sims
dsims@flash.net
dsims
New user

Postby jv16 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 am

Perhaps the easiest way to recover is simply reinstall Windows over the current installation, this way you don't lose any of your documents or files (as you would compared to a fresh install after format).

After you have done, could you send me via Private Message or via email (jouni.vuorio at macecraft.com) the created backup file?
jv16
Developer

Postby dsims » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:47 pm

That would be great and would work. However the problem is that I would loose all of the data files that have not been backed up. I need to salvage these files first...somehow.
dsims
New user

Postby dsims » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Ammendent to provious comment:

When you place the OS disk in, and attempt to reinstall the Win2000 OS it tells you that this will wipe out all files while reinstalling the OS.

So....the need to find a solution around this problem. There was no option to repair or overwrite the OS files. These data files are inportant and can not be replaced.
dsims
New user

Postby tullik » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:34 pm

My XP and Vista disks have options that preserve the user data -- too bad Win2000 doesn't ...

Since you said the disk is OK, you have to find a bootable CD or floppy with a "Recovery Console" (aka DOS). I hope you can then copy your data to another device, then restore the OS ...
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Return to jv16 PowerTools 2006