PowerTools Lite

Registry Cleaner Does Not Find Registry Errors Anymore

Discussion relating to jv16 PowerTools 2011.

Registry Cleaner Does Not Find Registry Errors Anymore

Postby JoeX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello: I hope I am doing this correctly-- I have used JV16 Power Tools for years. The major tool I use is the Registry Cleaner. I have noticed that the last 2 builds no longer will find ANY registry errors. No matter what level of cleaning I use-- even the most aggressive-- No errors are found. However if I use Piriform's CCleaner it will always find errors--- even when run right after JV16. Any ideas?
JoeX
New user

Re: Registry Cleaner Does Not Find Registry Errors Anymore

Postby Leonardo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:22 pm

JoeX wrote:Hello: I hope I am doing this correctly-- I have used JV16 Power Tools for years. The major tool I use is the Registry Cleaner. I have noticed that the last 2 builds no longer will find ANY registry errors. No matter what level of cleaning I use-- even the most aggressive-- No errors are found. However if I use Piriform's CCleaner it will always find errors--- even when run right after JV16. Any ideas?

Did you check your "Advanced Engine Settings?

RegistryCleaning settings.jpg
RegistryCleaning settings.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Leonardo
Guru

Postby JoeX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Hello Leonardo: Yes my settings are configured like yours...Any other suggestions or ideas? they would be greatly appreciated
JoeX
New user

Postby Leonardo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:14 am

JoeX wrote:Hello Leonardo: Yes my settings are configured like yours...Any other suggestions or ideas? they would be greatly appreciated

The easiest test is to uninstall jv16PT. As a result the license.xbin file will be saved to your desktop.
Delete the remaining jv16PT installation folder, with everything in there. So only your license.xbin file is saved but nothing else!

Download the last jv16PT build from http://www.macecraft.com and reinstall it in a new folder.
Than apply the license.xbin file using the "License tool" in the "Help" pull down menu on the jv16PT 'Main window'.

After that test Registry tools -> Registry cleaning.
Leonardo
Guru

Postby abide.in.the.vine » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:04 am

I had this problem when I made new user accounts in Windows. Cleaning the cache for JV16 PowerTools corrected the problem. To do this, click Tools > Program Maintenance > Flush Cache. The program will then rebuild the cache, restart the program, and then try the registry cleaner again.
abide.in.the.vine
New user

Postby JoeX » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks for both of these ideas. I did "flush the cache" and the cleaner revealed 2 errors, significantly fewer than the cleaner used to find...So I tried Leonardo's uninstall and reinstall method next and reactivated my license. Registry Cleaner found 345 errors this time. I believe the issue is now solved, but I ponder how the program got there to begin with.....
JoeX
New user

Postby Leonardo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm

JoeX wrote:Thanks for both of these ideas. I did "flush the cache" and the cleaner revealed 2 errors, significantly fewer than the cleaner used to find...So I tried Leonardo's uninstall and reinstall method next and reactivated my license. Registry Cleaner found 345 errors this time.
I believe the issue is now solved, but I ponder how the program got there to begin with.....

My guess is that you installed a new jv16PT version over an already (older) installed jv16PT version.
Not all versions can be installed over previous versions!
Leonardo
Guru

Postby abide.in.the.vine » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:24 am

I decided to try an experiment. First I cleaned the registry using the 2nd most aggressive setting. Found and deleted a few errors. Then, I flushed the cache and then I scanned again and found like 63 more errors. Then, I uninstalled the software (leaving backups and settings), scanned the registry again (using the 2nd most aggressive setting), and it came up with 13 more errors.
abide.in.the.vine
New user

Postby abide.in.the.vine » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:54 pm

I tried the same experiment as before:

(1) Cleaned the registry (using 2nd most aggressive scan) and fixed/cleaned all errors.
(2) Flushed/Rebuilt JV16 PowerTools cache and scanned again, finding 242 errors. Fixed/cleaned them.
(3) Reinstalled JV16 PowerTools and scanned again, finding 4 errors. These were from temp files so they may have been made in between uninstalling/installing JV16 PowerTools.

I would like to see some other users try the same experiment and post the results. Based on these two tests so far I would say to get the best results from JV16 PowerTools to periodically flush the cache and perhaps and occasional reinstall.
abide.in.the.vine
New user

Postby Leonardo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:29 am

abide.in.the.vine wrote:(1) Cleaned the registry (using 2nd most aggressive scan) and fixed/cleaned all errors.
(2) Flushed/Rebuilt JV16 PowerTools cache and scanned again, finding 242 errors. Fixed/cleaned them.................

I cannot really confirm your findings:
W7-SP1 found 6 errors after flushing/rebuilding the cache.
XP-SP3 found 19 errors after flushing/rebuilding the cache.
All scans, before and after cache flushed/rebuild, were done in Normal scan mode.
Leonardo
Guru

Return to jv16 PowerTools 2011