PowerTools Lite

Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study

Talk about anything not covered by our other boards.

Re: Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study

Postby jv16 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks for the feedback! I have also received some positive feedback via email, so I have some good news for you: we will keep tormenting our competitors and do another review :lol:

These products at least will be included:
CleanMyPC Registry Cleaner
EasyCleaner
jv16 PowerTools 2008
jv16 PowerTools 2009
Registry First Aid
Registry Mechanic
RegSeeker
Wise Registry Cleaner Pro

And hopefully these will also be included:
RegVac Registry Cleaner
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner
CCleaner
RegCure
Chily Registry Cleaner
Perfect Optimizer
AMUST Registry Cleaner
Abexo Registry Cleaner
Comodo Registry Cleaner
Uniblue RegistryBooster
Registry Genius
Ace Utilities
Fix-It Utilities
Lavasoft Registry Tuner
TuneUp Registry Cleaner
XP Repair Pro

Edit: here is some more products I found and plan to include (that is, if they offer a trial version):
Registry Cleaner - RegFix Mantra
Glary Utilities PRO
PC Bug Doctor
RegRestore PC TuneUp
Registry Drill
WinUtilities
RegToy
XP Registry Cleaner
PC Optimizer Pro
Advanced System Optimizer
Migo Registry Repair
Registry Easy

We will include some really interesting new tests to the next test round, such as how well these products can actually fix errors.
jv16
Developer

Postby redseujac » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:44 pm

There are still "Lavasoft Registry Tuner", "TuneUp Registry Cleaner" and "XP Repair Pro" rather popular cleaners left :wink:
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby jv16 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:05 pm

redseujac wrote:There are still "Lavasoft Registry Tuner", "TuneUp Registry Cleaner" and "XP Repair Pro" rather popular cleaners left :wink:

I added these to the list. Wow, that's a long list...
jv16
Developer

Postby jv16 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 pm

OK, that's now 35 products. If this won't be the biggest and the best registry cleaner product comparison, I don't know what is :lol:
jv16
Developer

Postby tullik » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:57 pm

jv16 wrote: . . . And hopefully these will also be included:
. . .
CCleaner
. . .
We will include some really interesting new tests to the next test round, such as how well these products can actually fix errors.

The most recent version of this product (v.2.16.830) had a synergistic effect with PowerTools.

How?

Well, the prior version I had installed did not have a "Type libraries" scan. That new scan yielded more than 7000 "issues."

It seems many HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\... subkeys addressed directly, or via another reference, the "application marshalling" CLSID 00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046 instead of, for example, an actual file or directory.

Since I don't use distributed applications, I decided to let CCleaner "fix" (i.e., "delete") all the issues to see what impact that might have on the applications I do use. There was no discernable impact even after rebooting.

However, the action did "unleash" the next PowerTools Registry Cleaner ActiveX/et cetera scan, which then showed over 7000 items. CCleaner did not detect those items. Most related to software uninstalled long ago. For example (from the backup Tool):

PROGRA~1\HELPAN~1\HPQ\ (14 high keys)
    \Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\RichFX\Player\ (2 high keys)
    \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\ (2 high keys)
    \WINDOWS\ (6 high keys), e.g., Downloaded program files
    Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\ (8 high keys)
    Program Files\Microsoft Plus! Photo Story 2 LE\ (6 high keys)
    \Real\RealPlayer\ (6 high keys)
    Program Files\Easy Internet signup\ (8 high keys)
    Program Files\PC-Doctor for Windows\ (22 high keys)
    \BackWeb Client\
    {KEY} : C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EEFONTS.DLL
    Symantec debris
    Invalid ActiveX/DDE/COM/DCOM/OLE item (2430 HKCR lines) -- non specific
I let Registry Cleaner remove all those. There were a few potential "false positives." There is a PT2009 forum topic asking about those.

So far, the only impact noticed is there are 14000 fewer items in the registry. This was all on the about 6 year old desktop PC with Vista BE (not SP1).
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Postby jv16 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 pm

This is the list of registry cleaner products to be tested in the second study:

Abexo Registry Cleaner
Ace Utilities
Advanced System Optimizer
AMUST Registry Cleaner
CCleaner
Chily Registry Cleaner
CleanMyPC Registry Cleaner
Comodo Registry Cleaner
EasyCleaner
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner
Fix-It Utilities
Glary Utilities PRO
jv16 PowerTools 2008
jv16 PowerTools 2009
Migo Registry Repair
PC Bug Doctor
PC Optimizer Pro
Perfect Optimizer
RegCure
Registry Cleaner - RegFix Mantra
Registry Drill
Registry Easy
Registry First Aid
Registry Genius
Registry Mechanic
RegRestore PC TuneUp
RegSeeker
RegToy
RegVac Registry Cleaner
TuneUp Utilities 2009
Uniblue Registry Booster
WinUtilities
Wise Registry Cleaner Pro
XP Repair Pro

I just downloaded these, some 200+ MB's of registry cleaning power. Lets see what they can do... I'll do the tests probably during this week.
jv16
Developer

Postby jv16 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 am

The testing is currently underway and the results should be ready and published later in this week.

The study contains this time two main tests: registry cleaner engine accuracy test with 1000 manually created registry errors added to the registry and 1000 manually created pieces of registry data that more or less looks like invalid but is actually valid. The products are tested to see which find the most of the 1000 real errors and which find the less of the 1000 false positives.

The second test is really something no one has done before (as far as I know): registry fixing test. A few critical registry keys were deleted from the registry causing the test system not to work properly. Then all the registry cleaners were used and it was monitered whether these products were able to locate the error and offer a fix for it.

In addition to the two main tests, the installation and setup file sizes are again addressed, as well as the trial limitations.
jv16
Developer

Postby jv16 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:21 am

redseujac wrote:There are still "Lavasoft Registry Tuner",

I'm afraid I have only found a Release Candidate of this product ready for download, so it was not included in the next review.

redseujac wrote: "TuneUp Registry Cleaner" and "XP Repair Pro" rather popular cleaners left :wink:

TuneUp Utilities 2009 is included, XP Repair Pro failed to install to the test setup.
jv16
Developer

Postby jv16 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:46 am

The new study is now semi-published, it's online at:
http://www.macecraft.com/registry_cleaner_comparison2/

By "semi-published" I mean it's not showing in News at the front page yet. This is because the test was done using a version of PowerTools 2009 that will be released in a few days. After the release of new PT version, I'll release the news about the new study as well.

Any feedback on the study would be highly appreciated. The comparison was a huge task, the collection of data took many days, and after that the data had to be analyzed and written in a nice report format. Phew, I hope I don't have to do a new study in a while, kind of reminded me of school :lol:
jv16
Developer

Postby Boofo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:57 am

Excellent comparison workup! School must have paid off. :wink:

I have a couple of them regged along with Powertools 2009. I must admit, I was surprised at a few of the results and expected a few of the others as is. Guess I'll be using Powertools exclusively now.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden
Boofo
Advanced User

Postby jv16 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm

The study is now officially released: http://www.macecraft.com/news/179/

We also made a PR out of it, because we think the people deserve to hear the truth. The PR can be read here: http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRelea ... 633&EDATE=

It was also picked up by Google News.

Lets see if this causes any reactions. I'm hoping it would lead to improvement and better products, but it might also lead to denial and accusations. We'll see...
jv16
Developer

Postby KenWA » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:18 pm

It is a pity you did not include RegScrubVistaXP in your survey. I have used the previous RegScrubXP for years and now use the current version without any problems. It also has the excellent facility to fully backup the entire Registry before starting the cleaning,in addition to backing up the individual items at the end.
KenWA
New user

Postby jv16 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks for the comment, I'll include RegScrubVistaXP to the next study.
jv16
Developer

Postby nice_bulldozer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:45 am

I'd suggest including Auslogics BoostSpeed in your next comparison. Their Registry Cleaner is not bad at all (my personal opinion, of course, and I'm not a 'power-user' by any standards). I've been using it for some time without crashing my PCs (running on Windows XP SP3). It goes well with CCleaner too - no apparent conflicts.
I downloaded and ran your trial version today - it showed the system in almost perfect health. It found some useless registry entries, of course, but overall it looks that the cleaning and maintenance criteria that you use are not so different from those of the Australians who develop BoostSpeed.
BTW, it's nice to see an excellent product - YOURS - on my birthday. :)
nice_bulldozer
New user

Postby jv16 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:58 pm

nice_bulldozer wrote:I'd suggest including Auslogics BoostSpeed in your next comparison. Their Registry Cleaner is not bad at all (my personal opinion, of course, and I'm not a 'power-user' by any standards). I've been using it for some time without crashing my PCs (running on Windows XP SP3).

Thanks for the tip! I have now added this product to the list of programs to be tested in the third study. I'm hoping to hit the 40 products mark for the third test, so keep 'em coming 8)
jv16
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

cron Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group