PowerTools Lite

Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study

Talk about anything not covered by our other boards.

Re: Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study

Postby Boofo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 am

Ace Utilities has a beta 5 version they have been working on for a while now. I would be curious to see how well that does up against the rest.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden
Boofo
Advanced User

Postby jv16 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Boofo wrote:Ace Utilities has a beta 5 version they have been working on for a while now. I would be curious to see how well that does up against the rest.

If I can download it, I can test it. Though it will take some time before I will be doing the third study, so they might get it to Final by then.
jv16
Developer

Postby Boofo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Yes, you can download it. It is at the top of the right side column under "Latest News"on their home page.

Also, you might want to add "Registry Clean Expert" (registry-clean.net) as they seem to be gaining some ground lately. It found a key that PowerTools missed on a DLL entry that was uninstalled.
Boofo
Advanced User

Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study

Postby pc20571 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 pm

This Registry Comparative is VERY Interesting!

1) There is a Free Registry Cleaner I would like to see in your Next
'Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study':

Argente Registry Cleaner

http://argentesoftware.blogspot.com/search/label/Argente%20-%20Registry%20Cleaner%201.5.5.2

DownLoad:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Argente-Registry-Cleaner-Download-93157.html
pc20571
New user

Postby Boofo » Sun May 10, 2009 3:45 am

jv16 wrote:
Boofo wrote:Ace Utilities has a beta 5 version they have been working on for a while now. I would be curious to see how well that does up against the rest.

If I can download it, I can test it. Though it will take some time before I will be doing the third study, so they might get it to Final by then.

FYI, they are releasing version 5 in the next week or so. Apparently it is out of beta. You might want to wait to test it then.
Boofo
Advanced User

Postby BruceK » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm

I wonder why System Mechanic 8.5 (version 9 is coming out very soon) or Symantec System Works were not included in this review. These are probably some of the best registry cleaners out there. I would be very interested as to how they stack up against these other registry cleaners in catching and fixing registry problems. I own an earlier version of jv 16 PowerTools and it is undeniably good at what it does. I would just like a fair and complete review of the actual BEST registry cleaners out there. Also a desirable feature to include and promote is the ability to scan the computer from an uninstalled CD to check and fix the registry as the Symantec SystemWorks CD can do. It is extremely useful to be able to fix a computer "on the fly" this way. I have resolved many problems on many different computers using this CD. I don't believe that Symantec's latest SystemWorks CD can do this any more. I don't like installing their software as it seems to hog the system resources and cause problems and slow downs but the ability to fix registry problems FROM the CD is why I purchased this product.

I would like to find the BEST transportable (no installation) CD fixer out there with utilities to: fix the registry, variable levels of deleting files, recovering/undeleting files on all file systems (NTFS, FAT16/32 etc), clean out cached files, temp files and internet clutter, defrag/optimize the hard drive, options to modify what programs pre-load on the system, provide system information, options for any other modifications that can speed up the computer and if some company could get a bootable CD with all these utilities on it that can check for viruses and spyware (using excellent quality freeware programs) that can boot with internet connectivity where available to get the latest definition files loaded before scanning the computer system remotely from the computer's DVD/CD "operating system" drive to clean off viruses and spyware and have a browser such as Firefox to search for other fixes online while in this "SAFE" mode AND have a backup utility so any "fixes" that don't work can be individually selected and undone, also include a utility to find and manage and FTP (if the internet is available) files and another utility to view picture files such as Irfanview 4.25 would be great. If this Repair CD could be manufactured inexpensively, it would be such a Mega-Success, it could be sold for $50 each and millions would be sold very quickly, and yearly updates could be bought by all the owners to stay abreast with the latest updates/new utilities for $25 each so there would be a steady support/income for this product. It would need the latest copy protection built into it to prevent unauthorized duplication, but it would be a very dominant player in the "Fix Your Own Computer" arena. I know that I would buy one each year!! I would like to see jv 16 PowerTools step up to the plate on this - I believe in their products, in my opinion, they are a very reputable company with a superior product.

Bruce
ps: Have a great day!
BruceK
New user

Postby redmaledeer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:33 am

This is the most thorough and useful review of registry cleaners that I have seen, and thank you for making it. However I had one comment. Some registry cleaners assign different levels of safety to the errors which they claim to detect. For example, Registry First Aid gives levels of Safe, Caution, and Extreme Caution to the errors which it finds. The results given in the review could depend greatly on which level of errors one chooses to remove. It would be nice if the review gave results for each level of removal. Currently only a single result is given. If only a single result is given, it would at least be helpful to state which level of removal that result corresponds to.
redmaledeer
New user

Postby jv16 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:51 pm

redmaledeer wrote:This is the most thorough and useful review of registry cleaners that I have seen, and thank you for making it. However I had one comment. Some registry cleaners assign different levels of safety to the errors which they claim to detect. For example, Registry First Aid gives levels of Safe, Caution, and Extreme Caution to the errors which it finds. The results given in the review could depend greatly on which level of errors one chooses to remove. It would be nice if the review gave results for each level of removal. Currently only a single result is given. If only a single result is given, it would at least be helpful to state which level of removal that result corresponds to.

You are correct. In the next study I would like to do this. However, usually the user interfaces of these products are so bad it's practicly impossible to, for example, count the number of errors of different levels. Usually products just show the total number of results. But I'll see what I can do.
jv16
Developer

Postby Boofo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:04 pm

BruceK wrote:I wonder why System Mechanic 8.5 (version 9 is coming out very soon) or Symantec System Works were not included in this review. These are probably some of the best registry cleaners out there. I would be very interested as to how they stack up against these other registry cleaners in catching and fixing registry problems. I own an earlier version of jv 16 PowerTools and it is undeniably good at what it does. I would just like a fair and complete review of the actual BEST registry cleaners out there. Also a desirable feature to include and promote is the ability to scan the computer from an uninstalled CD to check and fix the registry as the Symantec SystemWorks CD can do. It is extremely useful to be able to fix a computer "on the fly" this way. I have resolved many problems on many different computers using this CD. I don't believe that Symantec's latest SystemWorks CD can do this any more. I don't like installing their software as it seems to hog the system resources and cause problems and slow downs but the ability to fix registry problems FROM the CD is why I purchased this product.

I would like to find the BEST transportable (no installation) CD fixer out there with utilities to: fix the registry, variable levels of deleting files, recovering/undeleting files on all file systems (NTFS, FAT16/32 etc), clean out cached files, temp files and internet clutter, defrag/optimize the hard drive, options to modify what programs pre-load on the system, provide system information, options for any other modifications that can speed up the computer and if some company could get a bootable CD with all these utilities on it that can check for viruses and spyware (using excellent quality freeware programs) that can boot with internet connectivity where available to get the latest definition files loaded before scanning the computer system remotely from the computer's DVD/CD "operating system" drive to clean off viruses and spyware and have a browser such as Firefox to search for other fixes online while in this "SAFE" mode AND have a backup utility so any "fixes" that don't work can be individually selected and undone, also include a utility to find and manage and FTP (if the internet is available) files and another utility to view picture files such as Irfanview 4.25 would be great. If this Repair CD could be manufactured inexpensively, it would be such a Mega-Success, it could be sold for $50 each and millions would be sold very quickly, and yearly updates could be bought by all the owners to stay abreast with the latest updates/new utilities for $25 each so there would be a steady support/income for this product. It would need the latest copy protection built into it to prevent unauthorized duplication, but it would be a very dominant player in the "Fix Your Own Computer" arena. I know that I would buy one each year!! I would like to see jv 16 PowerTools step up to the plate on this - I believe in their products, in my opinion, they are a very reputable company with a superior product.

Bruce
ps: Have a great day!

I have yet to see an all-in-one program like you are requesting actually be that good in all areas. That would be quite an undertaking, for one, and would detract from what PowerTools is known for. The resources needed would be immense and well as the time needed to undertake such a project. Powertools is excellent as it is. The only thing I could see added is maybe a portable version, which would fill some areas of what you are wanting. When you have an all-in-one program, you have just that many more things to go wrong with it.
Boofo
Advanced User

Postby Todd B. » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 am

Another cleaner I'd like to see added to the test is MaxPC. It can be found here: http://www.is3.com/products/maxpc/home.do

My girlfriend bought it for her PC without asking me about it. Doh.

And the comparison should be easier to find. Put a link to it permanently on your home page, instead of burying it's existance in your Old News section. Potential customers who are new to your company aren't going to know that the comparison even exists, unless you make it a point to tell them.
Todd B.
New user

Postby jv16 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Todd B. wrote:Another cleaner I'd like to see added to the test is MaxPC. It can be found here: http://www.is3.com/products/maxpc/home.do

My girlfriend bought it for her PC without asking me about it. Doh.

And the comparison should be easier to find. Put a link to it permanently on your home page, instead of burying it's existance in your Old News section. Potential customers who are new to your company aren't going to know that the comparison even exists, unless you make it a point to tell them.

I'll see if I can add that program to the next test. And a link to the comparison added to front page.
jv16
Developer

Postby Boofo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:08 pm

Check this link out. I just got an email from Firetrust (Mailwasher Pro) touting Registry Booster. They compare it with PowerTools 2006, among others.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/reg ... owertools/
Boofo
Advanced User

Postby jv16 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Boofo wrote:Check this link out. I just got an email from Firetrust (Mailwasher Pro) touting Registry Booster. They compare it with PowerTools 2006, among others.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/reg ... owertools/

Well, this kind of comparisons are simply rubbish, they come up with features and then see if such features exist in other products. Like lets take "User Software Settings" for example, what does that mean exactly? The scan of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software? Of course PowerTools scans that, just like pretty much every single other registry cleaner program out there. But it's not called "User Software Settings" scan, it's part of the File References scan. And how exactly are they supposed to know what features does different registry cleaner engines really have? Based on the GUI? Yeah, well that's like comparing who has the fastest car by the way it looks - sure, someone does that too but it's still equally stupid :D

The Backup & Restore section makes a bit more sense, except it quite doesn't. Why is "Defrag registry" under Backup & Restore? Or "Shows Severity of Invalid Registry"? Come on, what were they thinking. Or smoking.

To tell you the truth, comparing features is really about how much you want to cherry pick. Of course you want to cherry pick the features that your product has but others don't, and like in this case, when you really don't have any unique features you make up some, like the scan of "User Software Settings". :roll:

And not to even go after the main problem: you can compare and list features as much as you want, but that doesn't tell anyone anything about how well the features really work. It's like if you want the fastest production car there is, do you buy a magazine and look at the pictures which one looks fastest, or do you look at the numbers how they perform? 8)
jv16
Developer

Postby Boofo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:53 pm

They compared the 2006 version with it instead of comparing a later version, which goes to show they don't want to be shown up. I never really cared for UniBlue programs. They are like Ashampoo, where they have a lot of mediocre stuff. I thought you would want to see that, Jouni. ;) I think it is funny that they have the gall to make the claims that they do.

Here is part of the email:

People have asked "How does Registry Booster compare to my current Registry Cleaner?"
Uniblue have posted a comparison [links to http://www.firetrust.com/uniblue-comparisons] between Registry Booster and 16 other registry cleaners.
In brief: Registry Booster scans more parts of your registry than the others.

People have also asked "Why do I have more errors on my PC than my current Registry Cleaner tells me?"
See the comparisons above. Registry Booster scans more parts of your registry to find more problems.

And a few people have asked "Why do I have to pay for it to remove the errors?"
All commercial registry cleaners work this way. No one would buy them if they could get the benefit of fixing problems without paying for it.

3 Simple Tips to Boost Your PC Performance
Many PCs seem to take ages to start up, process information or run applications. With these three simple tricks you can have your computer running like new.

1. Reduce the number of applications on start up
When installed, many applications configure themselves to load when your PC is started. Avoid this as when you start your PC these programs will automatically launch causing your system to take ages booting up and wasting valuable memory.

2. Fix your registry regularly
Your PC's registry is like a library, where registry entries (such as user profiles, application information, or OS settings) are represented by books. Over time this library can become mixed-up, with unwanted, duplicated or damaged books, and will need reorganizing. However cleaning the registry yourself is dangerous as you can delete vital system information. This is why you should install registry optimization software and use it regularly. Run a free optimization scan now [links to http://www.firetrust.com/products/registry-booster], to find out how many errors your registry has.

3. Keep your Windows registry defragmented
Your PC's registry also becomes disorganized and fragmented: the PC doesn't always put books back in the right place slowing your computer as your system searches for lost information. Regularly running a registry cleaner will keep your registry defragmented making sure your PC always runs at top speed. Run a registry scan today [links to http://www.firetrust.com/products/registry-booster] and benefit from increased PC performance!

Note: The free RegistryBooster scan will provide you with a diagnostic report on how your computer's performance can be optimized. You will then be able to implement improvements by purchasing the full version of RegistryBooster.
Boofo
Advanced User

Postby danburrito » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:40 pm

If another study is being done in the future, I would like to see how IObit's Advanced SystemCare compares to jv16PT.
danburrito
New user

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

cron Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group