PowerTools Lite

Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study

Talk about anything not covered by our other boards.

Re: Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study

Postby jmhonzell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:15 am

Based on all the "suggested" comparisons and that which has gone before, I've compiled a list of what is readily available:
1. There is a list of registry cleaners that are either malicious, no trial version, crippled, or obsolete that should not be considered. (Invalid List)
Invalid List.jpg
Invalid List.jpg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 2834 times

2. There is a list of registry cleaners that fall into the Freeware category. (Freeware)
Freeware.jpg
Freeware.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 2840 times

3. There is a list of registry cleaners that fall into the Shareware category. (Shareware)
Shareware.jpg
Shareware.jpg (130.33 KiB) Viewed 2840 times

Of those that could be compared:
1. Some do not support Windows 7.
2. Only a small amount are compatible with x64. (And, that does not mean they can cleanup the x64 areas of the registry.)
3. And, a few are so crippled, an effective comparison could not be made.

That leaves about 26 of the 54 suggested that could be compared in two groups:
1. Freeware
2. Shareware
With one additional test for x64 compatible versions. (Do they really do anything in the x64 area?)
jmhonzell
New user

Postby jv16 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 am

jmhonzell wrote:That leaves about 26 of the 54 suggested that could be compared in two groups:
1. Freeware
2. Shareware
With one additional test for x64 compatible versions. (Do they really do anything in the x64 area?)

Wow, nice job! x64 test is one that I have been really thinking about. Something with two parts: 1. is the product compatible with 64 bit systems in a way it doesn't cause problems (false detections) and 2. is the product compatible with 64 bit systems in a way it scans both the 32 bit and 64 bit views of the registry.
jv16
Developer

Postby jmhonzell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:22 am

Please note that the lack of information in a box (on the tables above) means that the vendor did not provide this information on their website's pages.
(ie. x64 compatible, shareware restrictions, portable, etc.)

If a homepage was determined malicious, I downloaded the program from a shareware download site and did not get as many details as some of the other sites.
Some homepages had very little information and results may only be found by installing the software which will be done later.
My plan is to install a clean x64 Win7 system before going any further as that is where my interests lie.
(Hopefully, just after Thanksgiving, I'll get to test some of those that are x64 compatible.)

I provided the list above to help others see why some of these products would be a waste of time to test.

I have no ties with Macecraft, or any other product that uses a registry cleaner. Instead, I am happy to see a vendor willing to provide meaningful results on this hotly debated software genre and thought it worth my time to support Macecraft in this endeavour, as well as attempt to provide some unbiased, fair feedback on the results. Even if Macecraft does not come in as #1 in the test, the willingness to put it all on the line indicates a willingness to meet the desired public standard and I would expect them to be there soon, if not already.

I'd ask that instead of recommending even more products to test, that individuals who use registry cleaners start listing what makes a registry cleaner good, or excellent. Those are the tests that need to be performed.

Looking forward to the test results.
jmhonzell
New user

Postby 212eta » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Dear jmhonzell,

First, congratulations on your meaningful work!
What makes a Reliable Registry Cleaner:

1) To be able to Get Rid Off what is Left Behind when you Remove/Uninstall a program
(i.e. Cleaning all the Remnants of Uninstalled programs).

2) To Remove what it should -Really- go away and Not -what is generated Again after Restarting your PC-.

3) To show what is Safe-to-Delete and what is a Risky- to-Delete item.
This is Very helpful to Novice/Inexperienced users!

4) To Compact & Defragment the Registry (Not all Registry Cleaners do it...)

5) To have a Powerful Search/Find Tool that can Accurately locate Registry entries (Keys, Values etc.)

6) Not to Change your Settings (both in Windows and Programs).

7) Not to Cripple Windows in a way that your PC will Not Start.

Certainly, the most reliable Registry Cleaner is Not the one that finds the most things to clean;
especially when these are Empty keys...
212eta
New user

Postby 212eta » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:38 am

In the Next Comparative,
please, check these two (2) popular FreeRegistry Cleaners:

1) Glarysoft Registry Repair
http://www.glarysoft.com/download/rr.exe
The above Tool is part of both
Glary Utilities (Freeware)
and Glary Utilities PRO (Shareware)

2) COMODO System Cleaner has a Registry Cleaning Tool:
http://system-cleaner.comodo.com/
212eta
New user

Postby 212eta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:59 pm

In the Next Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study (IF...and When...),
please, include WinASO Registry Optimizer
They claim that they are have the -ONLY- Registry Cleaner
that obtained a 5-Star Award by CNET Editors
http://download.cnet.com/WinASO-Registry-Optimizer/3000-2094_4-10260558.html
212eta
New user

Postby jv16 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 pm

212eta wrote:In the Next Registry Cleaner Review and Performance Comparison Study (IF...and When...),
please, include WinASO Registry Optimizer
They claim that they are have the -ONLY- Registry Cleaner
that obtained a 5-Star Award by CNET Editors
http://download.cnet.com/WinASO-Registry-Optimizer/3000-2094_4-10260558.html

Will do. There is no "if", a new study will be made after the release of PT 2010. I'm afraid I have no time to do it before, and I of course want to see how the new version performs compared to PT 2009.
jv16
Developer

Postby 212eta » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:02 pm

April 2, 2010.
Still waiting for
-jv16 PowerTools 2010
and
-Registry Cleaner Comparison Study.
:cry:
212eta
New user

Postby redseujac » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Please read jv16's development blog here, especially this post explaining the reason why he isn't rushing anything with PowerTools 2010.
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby 212eta » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:27 pm

Nothing new...anyway...
212eta
New user

Postby dman » Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 am

Interesting review. I'm not sure if the self-defined test to fix the computer's ability to execute BAT files is a fair test, although it's an interesting capability of your 2009 program. (Your 2008 program seems to be not as well off in several regards you test for, though.)

You didn't mention Advanced System Care from Iobit.com. They have free and "pro" versions. I have used the freeware one for several years now and generally like it, though I find some bugs sometimes. It's also gotten better over the years. It is a suite of utilities, not just a registry cleaner. It gets a good rating by the German Chips.com site, which generally does pretty well for me with its ratings and how they jibe with my experience.

I am most interested in the false-positives you find and would be interested to know how Iobit's stuff does. But I also wonder how you selected the criteria to test for.

By the way, "login" as one word is a noun; when you ask someone to "log in," i.e., use the verb, it should be two words. That goes for buttons as well. I have a private campaign to straighten the world out as to login/log in, logout/log out, and some others like those.
dman
New user

Postby jv16 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 am

dman wrote:Interesting review. I'm not sure if the self-defined test to fix the computer's ability to execute BAT files is a fair test, although it's an interesting capability of your 2009 program. (Your 2008 program seems to be not as well off in several regards you test for, though.)

The fairest test would be a test that an independent third party would do. However, there seems to be very little interest for this, as it takes a lot of work and knowledge to do such a test.

We try to be as objective in our tests as possible.

dman wrote:You didn't mention Advanced System Care from Iobit.com. They have free and "pro" versions. I have used the freeware one for several years now and generally like it, though I find some bugs sometimes. It's also gotten better over the years. It is a suite of utilities, not just a registry cleaner. It gets a good rating by the German Chips.com site, which generally does pretty well for me with its ratings and how they jibe with my experience.

I am most interested in the false-positives you find and would be interested to know how Iobit's stuff does. But I also wonder how you selected the criteria to test for.

In our last test we tested every single product we could find available for download, I guess we missed this one. We'll get it to the next test that will be released after PowerTools 2010.
jv16
Developer

Postby jmhonzell » Thu May 13, 2010 3:36 pm

dman,

Take a look at the Independent Review and Comparison. I included IO Bits Advanced Care System 3 in my work. Hope that helps.
jmhonzell
New user

Postby redseujac » Thu May 13, 2010 6:39 pm

jmhonzell wrote:dman,

Take a look at the Independent Review and Comparison. I included IO Bits Advanced Care System 3 in my work. Hope that helps.

Here's the link to that thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3990
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby siliconman01 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:26 am

Would be interesting to see comparative with the now functional registry compactor in jv16 PowerTools Beta B946+ :wink:
Platinum VIP License. A clean machine is a screaming machine! Windows 8.1 x64 Professional on Dell XPS 8700 SE; Windows 8.1 x64 Professional on MS Surface Pro tablet
siliconman01
Expert user

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

cron Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group