PowerTools Lite

Odd PopUp

Talk about anything not covered by our other boards.

Re: Odd PopUp

Postby Leonardo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Leonardo wrote:-- Google search on (part of) the messages gives some cloes. It certainly looks like Windows messages.
-- Did the messages pop up after you PC was 'active power-on' (not sleep/hibernate) for a certain amount of time?
-- Can you you actually do what the messages indicate?

cybrguy wrote:I don't hibernate or put that computer to sleep, and that isn't something I want to do. At most I shut down the monitor.

Than that is probably the reason for W7 to pop-up these new kind of energy savings advisory messsages?
Leonardo
Guru

Postby redseujac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Please read carefully the post Doogie wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4184&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p25346

and click on the link in his post. Then you'll find a similar problem...
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby DooGie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:21 pm

redseujac wrote:Please read carefully the post Doogie wrote:

I looked at that thread again redseujac and it was cybrguy that started that thread as well as the one here.
DooGie
Advanced User

Postby redseujac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:23 pm

DooGie wrote:
redseujac wrote:Please read carefully the post Doogie wrote:

I looked at that thread again redseujac and it was cybrguy that started that thread as well as the one here.

:oops:
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby cybrguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Right. I've been asking about this issue in three places. The only other place I have found that popup quoted is on a site in another language I understand is Turkish, but doesn't seem to be any help... :( http://www.itusozluk.com/goster.php/wordweb
cybrguy
New user

Postby tullik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Whatever its source, I find the message ambiguous.

I interpret "running nonstop" to mean some task is keeping the CPU busy. Given that interpretation, an automatic shutdown solution is silly.

I suppose if "running nonstop for a long time" means "not doing any work for a long time," then an automatic shutdown solution would make some sense. :P
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Postby cybrguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:16 pm

Hmmm... It would seem to me, especially in it's context, that "running non-stop" would mean running without ever going into standby or hibernation, or being shut down.
cybrguy
New user

Postby redseujac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:08 pm

In any case it has nothing to do with PowerTools, so let's finish this discussion in this thread under section PowerTools 2010.

Maybe you can continue it in a more appropriate section, such as General Discussion.
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby tullik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:14 pm

cybrguy wrote:Hmmm... It would seem to me, especially in it's context, that "running non-stop" would mean running without ever going into standby or hibernation, or being shut down.

Could be as you say, although "running nonstop" is a very active concept.

IMHO, "up without working" is a better phrase for the context.

I suppose all this fits the topic (Odd PopUp), but puts us no closer to the message source.

Given the probable motivation for such a message, maybe it's related to ENERGY STAR compliance? If so, Microsoft or the computer manufacturer might know ...
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Postby tullik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 pm

redseujac wrote:In any case it has nothing to do with PowerTools, so let's finish this discussion in this thread under section PowerTools 2010.

Maybe you can continue it in a more appropriate section, such as General Discussion.

Yes, your translation experience proves PowerTools is not the source. Maybe a board admin can move the topic.

I do wonder about the message author's use of English and knowledge of computer terminology. That may be a reason for some concern. Who knows at this point? If only someone out there knew the source, that might clarify the matter. It does seem to be a rarely seen message. Google & Bing searches only show cybrguy and somebody in Turkey. :?
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Postby jv16 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:43 am

redseujac wrote:In any case it has nothing to do with PowerTools, so let's finish this discussion in this thread under section PowerTools 2010.

Agreed. I have now moved the topic to General Discussion board.
jv16
Developer

Postby cybrguy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:14 am

The source of the popup is a dictionary/thesaurus program called WordWeb. The company is trying to promote green computing.

Thanks to those who tried to help.
cybrguy
New user

Postby redseujac » Sun May 22, 2011 11:55 am

All those new messages of so called new users through the whole forum are ... Just look at their signature and you'll understand...

It's just a new way for spamming :x
redseujac
Super Guru

Previous

Return to General Discussion

cron Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group