PowerTools Lite

Phantom System folder in registry

Talk about anything not covered by our other boards.

Phantom System folder in registry

Postby ellisonwales » Sat May 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Hi...
Ive recently found a system folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\.
I thought at first it was malware related ,however Ive run practically every malware tool available for windows 7 64 bit ,and nothings found.The stange thing is that when i try to delete the folder ,i get "system cannot find the key specified" error.Also when i put the cursor over the folder and highlight it ,the previous folder shows in the registry address bar not the system folder highlighted.I have inserted a new string in the folder and it allows me to do that.I can then delete the folder ,but upon reboot the folder is back again.Ive also tried to remove in safe mode but get the same cannot find key specified error.Can any registry expert explain what the folder is ?
tia
ellison
Attachments
system delete.JPG
system delete.JPG (104.09 KiB) Viewed 537 times
ellisonwales
New user

Re: Phantom System folder in registry

Postby Leonardo » Sun May 15, 2011 12:06 pm

ellisonwales wrote:Hi...
Ive recently found a system folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\.
I thought at first it was malware related ,however Ive run practically every malware tool available for windows 7 64 bit ,and nothings found.The strange thing is that when i try to delete the folder ,i get "system cannot find the key specified" error. Also when i put the cursor over the folder and highlight it ,the previous folder shows in the registry address bar not the system folder highlighted.I have inserted a new string in the folder and it allows me to do that. I can then delete the folder ,but upon reboot the folder is back again.Ive also tried to remove in safe mode but get the same cannot find key specified error.Can any registry expert explain what the folder is?

Did you try a Google search with the keyword SysPrep Tapi?
Leonardo
Guru

Postby ellisonwales » Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi leonardo...
No I hadn't......though since you mentioned it i have and cant find much information about it.The folder has a default string value that isn't set ,and can be deleted if required.Its the system folder below it that concerns me and that i need some help with.
ellison
ellisonwales
New user

Postby redseujac » Sun May 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Don't worry. I have exactly the same key ("System") in my registry and when I click on it I get exactly the same message (but in Dutch) :wink:
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby Leonardo » Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 am

ellisonwales wrote:Hi leonardo...
No I hadn't......though since you mentioned it I have and can't find much information about it. The folder has a default string value that isn't set and can be deleted if required. Its the "system" folder below it that concerns me and that I need some help with...

Ellison, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I have a notebook with W7 32bit and there HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\System does NOT exist.

Please see quote #10 in this link: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/f172/how- ... 80156.html

NO_System.jpg
NO_System.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Last edited by Leonardo on Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leonardo
Guru

Postby ellisonwales » Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 am

redseujac wrote:Don't worry. I have exactly the same key ("System") in my registry and when I click on it I get exactly the same message (but in Dutch) :wink:

Hi..Im not really worried ,but just curious why its there or whats caused it to be there.The folder is not on my desktop pc which is also w7 64bit.Im alaso curious as to why it cant be deleted or whether the folder is actually there as the popup says it cant be found.?
ellison
ellisonwales
New user

Postby ellisonwales » Mon May 16, 2011 12:51 am

Leonardo wrote:
ellisonwales wrote:Hi leonardo...
No I hadn't......though since you mentioned it I have and can't find much information about it. The folder has a default string value that isn't set and can be deleted if required. Its the "system" folder below it that concerns me and that I need some help with...

Ellison, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I have a notebook with W7 32bit and there HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\System does NOT exist.
Could it be a W7 64bit only thing?

NO_System.jpg

Hi leonardo..
I don't think its a 64bit thing as my desktop pc which is also w764 but doesn't have it ,and other posters on other forums have said they don't have it either.Im just really curious as to what it is,how it got there and why i cant delete it.
ellison
ellisonwales
New user

Postby redseujac » Mon May 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Ellison

I am glad to tell you that I succeeded in deleting our "ghost" key "system" in HKLM. :lol: Look at the attachment.

regdelnull.png
regdelnull.png (43.73 KiB) Viewed 478 times

You must run the tool RegDelNull v1.1 from the well-known Mark Russinovich.

Download the file, unzip it and place it in C:\

Then from the command-line (type "cmd" in the search box and right click to run as an administrator) type the following command from C:\>
"regdelnull hklm -s" (without quotes)
(see also the attachment)

The key will be deleted as a null-embedded key.

Good luck!
redseujac
Super Guru

Postby ellisonwales » Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi redseujac....
Thats marvelous....that program worked a treat ,and ive finally removed it.Thanks very much for the info and the link :D
ellison
ellisonwales
New user

Postby jakebspitzer » Sat May 21, 2011 2:14 am

I had the same problem and the program seemed to do the trick. Thanks!
The worst thing is to get involved with people riding Razor eSpark Scooter who aren't passionate about what they're doing.
jakebspitzer
New user

Postby ellisonwales » Sat May 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Anyone know where the folder key came from in the first place?.Im relieved to have removed it ,but would love to what (program?) put it there in the first place.I guess its something that we all used ,as it doesnt seem to be on everyone's pc.
ellison
ellisonwales
New user

Return to General Discussion

cron Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group