PowerTools Lite

Cosmetic ?

Discussion of the freeware program PowerTools Lite 2011.

Cosmetic ?

Postby fsr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Can someone explain what does this message mean ?

I was about to open bug, but a report already existed. Why is this classified as cosmetic ? :shock:
fsr
New user

Re: Cosmetic ?

Postby tullik » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:03 am

fsr wrote:Can someone explain what does this message mean ? ...

There is a bug in the "Safety Net" feature which incorrectly causes these frightening pop-ups to occur more or less consistently on a few systems.

jv16 said elsewhere that the bug will be fixed in the next release. That may not happen until perhaps August when he returns to full time after his "sabbatical."

fsr wrote: ... I was about to open bug, but a report already existed. Why is this classified as cosmetic ? :shock:

Though incorrect because of the bug, it's not as bad as it "sounds."

The pop-up goes away when you click OK and no harm is done.

I have a few of these on a Windows 7 system. I suppress them with ignore words, to wit: viewtopic.php?p=20381#p20381

Cosmetic - A bug that causes inconvenience to the user only on some systems, or very minor inconvenience on all systems.
Last edited by tullik on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Postby tullik » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:25 am

BTW, "stopped the program's execution" overstates the matter (IMO).

It should probably say something like "skipped the item" or "performed no action on the item."

Also, the link in the pop-up should point to some action page, not the Macecraft front page, which provides no clue about what to do next. :roll:
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Postby fsr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:29 pm

tullik wrote:It should probably say something like "skipped the item" or "performed no action on the item."

Agree, that message is confusing. Thanks.
tullik wrote:Also, the link in the pop-up should point to some action page, not the Macecraft front page, which provides no clue about what to do next. :roll:

Also agree. Maybe we could submit bug on 'OK' ?

Another thing, that 'invalid value' is not invalid at all, it belongs to my updater http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/ .
fsr
New user

Postby tullik » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am

fsr wrote:...
tullik wrote:Also, the link in the pop-up should point to some action page, not the Macecraft front page, which provides no clue about what to do next. :roll:

Also agree. Maybe we could submit bug on 'OK' ? ...

That's more an "improvement" which may require Macecraft to establish a formal bug management function to be really effective.

fsr wrote:... Another thing, that 'invalid value' is not invalid at all, it belongs to my updater http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/ .

You could file a bug report about that ... :wink: ... but it is likely covered by the report already filed.

The pop-up is not about your updater anyway ... it refers to the LASTKEY accessed by RegEdit which is not serious at all -- just a type of MRU.
tullik
tullik
Super Guru

Postby jv16 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:46 pm

This is indeed a cosmetic issue, that is, it doesn't cause any harm but only requires the user to click OK button of the dialog window. The issue will be fixed in the next released version of the program which is due out in next month.
jv16
Developer

Return to PowerTools Lite 2011

cron Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group