What was "fixed"?

Discussion of jv16 PowerTools 2009. Note: this product version is no longer supported, feel free to use this product if you want but please remember that if you encounter any problem with it you should update to the latest version.
Hapkido
New user

What was "fixed"?

Postby Hapkido » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm curious to know if it is possible to see what items are "fixed" when running the Registry Cleaner and using the "Fix" option. For example, my last result said, "All done! 4 registry errors were fixed...". I'm wanting to know what 4 items were fixed and what was done to fix them. Is this information available?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jv16
Developer

Re: What was "fixed"?

Postby jv16 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14 am

I'm afraid this information is only available via the Backup tool, and not in very user friendly format. But this was an excellent question and we will add this feature to PowerTools 2011.

Hapkido
New user

Postby Hapkido » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:06 pm

jv16 wrote:I'm afraid this information is only available via the Backup tool, and not in very user friendly format. But this was an excellent question and we will add this feature to PowerTools 2011.

Thank you! I remember clearly that many many years ago using Norton System Tools, there was the option to "Fix" items found and it displayed what "fix" would be done, e.g., a shortcut which was determined to be no longer valid for whatever reason would be associated with what it thought was correct. In some instances that "fix" was wrong. So, if one chose to automatically fix the shortcut rather than delete it, the shortcut would open some totally unrelated application. Obviously, this caused no little consternation. :~) I do have much more confidence in jv16 PowerTools, however, than the old Norton utility, but still, it is a programmed command which may not always choose the correct "fix". Being able to double-check what is suggested is much desired.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

redseujac
Super Guru

Postby redseujac » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Hapkido wrote:
jv16 wrote:... but still, it is a programmed command which may not always choose the correct "fix"

Unfortunately you are right: also jv16 PowerTools does not always choose the correct shortcut assocation "found" in the file cache. Sometimes an association is choosen with an apparent same/similar but wrong item, I experienced myself. So "Fix" is not always the right option to choose, where "Delete" or "Remove" is actually the correct one. Indeed it's better to know beforehand what the "Fix" will do exactly. Naturally you can always fall back on the backups.
Windows 10 Pro (x64) - jv16 PowerTools X - Dutch translator for jv16 PowerTools

jv16
Developer

Postby jv16 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:30 am

Hapkido wrote: Obviously, this caused no little consternation. :~) I do have much more confidence in jv16 PowerTools, however, than the old Norton utility, but still, it is a programmed command which may not always choose the correct "fix". Being able to double-check what is suggested is much desired.

This is why there is the Custom Fix feature in PowerTools, it allows you to see and select how the selected errors are fixed.

redseujac
Super Guru

Postby redseujac » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:58 pm

jv16 wrote:...This is why there is the Custom Fix feature in PowerTools, it allows you to see and select how the selected errors are fixed.

That's right, but with e.g. hundreds of items to fix that's a lot of very concentrated work.
Windows 10 Pro (x64) - jv16 PowerTools X - Dutch translator for jv16 PowerTools

jv16
Developer

Postby jv16 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:22 pm

redseujac wrote:
jv16 wrote:...This is why there is the Custom Fix feature in PowerTools, it allows you to see and select how the selected errors are fixed.

That's right, but with e.g. hundreds of items to fix that's a lot of very concentrated work.

That's true, and we do need to do something about it. But that must wait for PT 2011.

embee
New user

Postby embee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:05 pm

I have two installed versions of PowerTools: 2009 and the very old 1.3 freeware.

In 1.3, the fix command does not remove selected entries that can't be "fixed". The 2009 version, by contrast, does delete these entries.

When I use the fix command, I do not necessarily want to delete anything, much less everything, that can't be "fixed". Is there a 2009 setting that behaves this way? (I could not find this in the Handbook.)

jv16
Developer

Postby jv16 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm

embee wrote:I have two installed versions of PowerTools: 2009 and the very old 1.3 freeware.

In 1.3, the fix command does not remove selected entries that can't be "fixed". The 2009 version, by contrast, does delete these entries.

When I use the fix command, I do not necessarily want to delete anything, much less everything, that can't be "fixed". Is there a 2009 setting that behaves this way? (I could not find this in the Handbook.)

I'm afraid I don't think there is such feature. Unless you use the Custom Fix feature which allows you to decide item by item what to do.

I think such feature should be added, I'll try to fit that in to PT 2011.

Return to “jv16 PowerTools 2009”