New PowerTools X released with many fixes and improvements, the discussion forum is finally back online and a statement relating to the crowdfunding campaign.
jv16 PowerTools X updated
We have updated jv16 PowerTools X. The updated version contains the following changes:
- Bug fix: If you are running Windows 8 or newer Windows AND your system has an E disk drive (e.g. “E:\”) the Clean and Fix My Computer may display certain types of false positive data. Removal of this data is not critical to the operation of Windows and the bug doesn’t affect all users.
- Bug fix: Some parts of the main window always show in English even if you are using a translated version of the program.
- Bug fix: The Startup Optimizer can fail to properly run certain software under specific conditions. If you have tried the PowerTools X and after using it, some software which usually start with your computer no longer start automatically, this bug is probably the reason. This bug fix ensures the software are run again properly during the next system startup.
- Bug fix: Some progress bar elements could show too small, causing parts of the texts not to display correctly.
- Bug fix: In some cases, the software cannot automatically download your license via the My Account feature.
- Bug fix: The Software Uninstaller can crash with Out Of Memory error if used in a computer with a lot of software.
- Bug fix: The program can crash with Access Violation when selecting items.
- Bug fix: When running the Clean and Fix My Computer, the program can crash with Cannot Create File error.
- Bug fix: Status screen of registry snapshot creation can be displayed incorrectly (overlapping components).
- Bug fix: After certain tools were run (such as the registry snapshot creation), clicking the Back button can open an empty screen.
- Bug fix: Directory Tool’s Empty Directory feature also deletes sub directories from the directory, it should only delete files and leave the directory structure intact.
- Improvement: Added Open in RegEdit feature to the right-click menu of the Clean and Fix My Computer tool.
- Improvement: Added keyboard shortcuts to most common features of the Clean and Fix My Computer tool.
- Improvement: Minor GUI visual improvements.
- Improvement: The Startup Manager now displays the information about disabled software in a more user friendly way.
- Improvement: Improved the speed of the registry cleaner engine.
- Improvement: Removed the caching of the Check For Updates. Before, the program would query the Macecraft’s server for a new version update at most once a day, even if user clicked the Check For Updates more often. From now on, the automatic new version check occurs still at most once a day, but if user manually opens the Check For Updates, the checks the Macecraft’s server every time.
- Improvement: The program is now compatible with the latest builds of Windows 10.
- Improvement: Improved the safety and accuracy of the registry cleaning engine.
- Improvement: Many updates to the Handbook.
- Improvement: Improved the Help > Open Handbook feature’s ability to locate the handbook PDF file.
- Improvement: The tooltips of the main window’s health scores now provide more information what to do about the health ratings.
- Improvement: Added the Dutch and Polish translations.
- Improvement: Improved the accuracy of the temp directory detection method.
- Improvement: Some users have asked where the Registry Cleaner has gone, to clarify this, the Registry Cleaner icon is now back under the Registry Tools menu.
The new version’s version number is 18.104.22.1680. After downloading and installing the new version, please open the Help > About window to verify you are running the latest version.
You can install the new version over any previous versions of jv16 PowerTools X. If you are running jv16 PowerTools 2014 or any earlier version, please install PowerTools X to a new directory, do not install it over PowerTools 2014 (do not install to same installation directory).
The new version can be downloaded from here: download jv16 PowerTools X.
The discussion forum is back!
In addition to the new PowerTools X version, we are happy to announce that the forum is now back online.
The discussion forum was down for maintenance for a long time and we do apologize for the inconvenience. The forum is available at the same address: www.macecraft.com/forum
About the crowdfunding campaign
As you might remember, last year we ran a crowdfunding campaign to convert jv16 PowerTools to open source software.
It has come to our attention that there has been some speculation and misunderstandings about the campaign and its outcome and we would like to clarify the situation now with the following statement.
In the campaign, we promised to convert jv16 PowerTools to a free, open source software if the campaign reaches its funding goal. However, the goal was not reached and that is the reason why jv16 PowerTools has not been released as open source.
This scenario of the funding goal not being reached was discussed in detail the campaign FAQ page (under “What happens if the campaign goal is not reached?”). Simply put, what happened was that everyone who contributed to the campaign received the digital perks as promised.
Everyone who contributed with the Open Source FAN level or higher (contribution of $10 USD or more) received a license for jv16 PowerTools 2014 and are entitled for a free update also for PowerTools X.
If you made a contribution but never received your license, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your contribution payment details (the name and email address used with the contribution) and we will issue you the correct license.
Since the campaign didn’t reach its funding goal, the software was not converted to open source and the funds are being used for product development, as detailed in the original campaign FAQ. You can read the terms of the campaign and the FAQ from the original crowdfunding page at Indiegogo.
After the campaign ended, we announced that we are still considering to release the software as open source, even with the campaign not reaching its goal. However, this announcement was not received well by our paying customers, who asked us to not to release the software as open source and that is where we are standing now: there are no plans to release the software as open source in the near future and we are continuing to develop it as commercial software.
How to register PowerTools X?
You can update to PowerTools X for free if you are our Plainum VIP customer or if you have bought jv16 PowerTools 2014 in the August of 2014 or later.
If you have bought PowerTools 2014 before August, or any other of our products, you can update to PowerTools X for just $5.95 USD. The special upgrade price is available to our old customers, you can use the upgrade option at: www.macecraft.com/upgrade-ptx
For new customers, the price of jv16 PowerTools X is only $29.95 USD. You can buy it from: www.macecraft.com/checkout
To install a license for jv16 PowerTools X, simply download and install the free trial version of PowerTools X, open its My Account feature and enter your name and email address there. It will automatically download and install your license.
If that doesn’t work, you can also try to manually download your license from the Download My License page. The same page also lists all your previous orders and shows if you have Platinum VIP status.
Remember to use the same name and email address that you have used when you bought the license. If your name contains special characters (anything other than letters from A to Z), please also try to write your name without the special characters.
If you have problems installing your license, please contact us.
Note: Previous versions of PowerTools X had a bug that caused its My Account feature to incorrectly say to some users that they are existing customers entitled for the $5.95 upgrade price. You can see your old orders (if any) from the Download My License page.